Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) is a type of cognitive behavioural therapy that helps patients learn how to modify and challenge unhelpful beliefs related to trauma.
What Are The Theories Behind This Worksheet?
Trauma changes the way we think about ourselves and the world around us.
The ABC technique, which stands for; Adversity-Activating Event-, Beliefs, and Consequences, has proven to be an effective practical tool for cognitive processing therapy.
The goal of the ABC technique is to help patients challenge and change their irrational thoughts and cognitive distortions.
How Will This Worksheet Help You?
This worksheet will help you:
- Challenge negative thoughts and interpretations
- Strive to gain a healthier perspective about the trauma
- Cope better with future trauma
- Move forward with life
By changing your thoughts, you change how you feel.
How Should You Use This Worksheet?
This worksheet is for patients who are battling with unhelpful beliefs related to trauma.
This worksheet should be used to;
- Describe the adverse circumstance
- Justify feelings or reactions towards adversities
- Challenge the patient’s belief
- Finding alternative solutions or explanations
This worksheet can be used as a way of practising positive journaling and mindfulness.
Provide answers to the questions below and reflect on them.
COGNITIVE PROCESSING THERAPY ABC WORKSHEET
Adverse circumstance/ Activating event (A) – “something happens”
- Describe an adverse circumstance. This could be a situation you have already faced or a situation that is stressing you.
Beliefs (B) – “I tell myself something”
- What beliefs do you have associated with the adverse circumstance above?
Consequences (C) – “I feel something”
Every belief has a consequence reflecting your behaviour and feelings.
- What consequences are you facing due to the adverse circumstance stated above?
Example: Lack of sleep
- In what ways can you challenge or dispute your negative beliefs/ thoughts in order to experience new positive thoughts?
|NEGATIVE THOUGHTS||POSITIVE THOUGHTS|
- What alternative solutions can you practise or engage in to change your unhelpful/ negative beliefs?
Example: Focus on gratitude
American Psychological Association: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. (© 2022). Cognitive Processing Therapy. Available at: https://www.apa.org/ptsd-guideline/treatments/cognitive-processing-therapy. [Accessed on October 24, 2022]
KASA Solutions. (© 2022). Using ABC Worksheets in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) Available at: https://kasa-solutions.com/using-abc-worksheets-in-cognitive-behavioral-therapy/. [Accessed on October 24, 2022]
You can download this worksheet here.