A conflict is a situation where individuals clash because of differences in opinions, interests, or principles. A conflict is more than a disagreement.
Conflict resolution occurs when two or more parties reach a peaceful and mutual solution to a dispute.
On the other hand, role-playing is a technique used to visualize and practice different ways of handling a situation or conflict.
What Are The Theories Behind This Worksheet?
Conflict resolution theory guides the informal or formal process that two or more parties use to find a peaceful solution to their dispute. This theory is also structured around the type of dispute and the approach to the conflict taken by the parties involved.
Role-play interaction in conflict resolution is an experiential learning technique and a social learning theory where individuals increase their motivation towards actions they observe others making.
How Will This Worksheet Help You?
Role-play can be a very effective way to help people learn to deal with various types of conflicts successfully.
Role-play for conflict resolution teaches people to acquire better and healthier techniques for responding to conflicts in their everyday life.
How Should You Use This Worksheet?
You should use this worksheet when you want to employ role play to solve conflicts.
This worksheet is a great self-help and group evaluation kit for role-playing in conflict resolution.
Conflict Resolution Skills Role Play Worksheet
- How do you resolve conflicts in your everyday life?
- Describe a situation that could potentially lead to a conflict.
(This can be at work, at home, or with friends)
- Using role play, how would you handle the above situation?
- Identify ways you can manage unruly impulses or emotions.
- Describe how you would verbalize your thoughts during conflict resolution.
- How would you maintain self-respect when engaging with others?
- How do you solve problems so that the needs and goals of all parties are respected?
- How do you practice empathy when dealing with different people?
- Identify different ways that show you are an active listener.
- Identify your unhealthy and healthy responses to conflict resolution.
|UNHEALTHY RESPONSES||HEALTHY RESPONSES|
To be used in a group setting.
- Identify a situation that has the potential to cause a conflict.
Introduce the problem, and encourage an open discussion to uncover all relevant issues.
- What details can you add to make the situation feel “real”?
- Assign roles by identifying various characters involved in the situation.
- Act out the scenario so that each character can assume their role.
- What different approaches can you practise to handle the situation better?
- Discuss what you have all learned during the role-play scenario.
Discussions are important as they help everyone learn from the experience.
American Psychological Association. (© 2022). Role Play: Theory and Practice. Available at: https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1997-09090-000. [Accessed November 21, 2022]
Mind Tools. (© 2022). Role Playing. Available at: https://www.mindtools.com/acjtx9g/role-playing. [Accessed November 21, 2022]
My Law Questions. (©2003-2022). What Are the Different Conflict Resolution Theories? Available at: https://www.mylawquestions.com/what-are-the-different-conflict-resolution-theories.htm. [Accessed November 19, 2022]
You can download this worksheet here.