Creative therapy is a therapeutic intervention that uses artistic endeavors such as music, poetry, dance, or drama to facilitate communication and emotional expression, enhance self-awareness, and foster health and change.
What Are The Theories Behind This Worksheet?
Creative therapy enables a person to work through their issues by making use of art-based exercises.
Creative therapy is used to help people who experience a subtle range of mental, emotional, and physical issues. This therapy is useful for people who have difficulty expressing their feelings verbally.
Creative therapy can be in the form of;
- Music Therapy
Music helps people relax and process emotions. Music therapy benefits people with developmental or physical disabilities, brain injuries, Alzheimer’s disease, substance abuse, or mental health conditions.
- Dance Therapy
This is the use of movement to enhance a person’s cognitive, emotional, social, and physical well-being.
Dance therapy is beneficial for people who have developmental, medical, social, physical, or psychological issues.
- Poetry Therapy
This is the use of reading or writing poetry in helping a person understand their feelings and those of others. Poetry therapy is useful when treating cancer.
- Art Therapy
This technique encompasses various forms of art such as painting, drawing, or sculpting to help a person reduce anxiety, depression, and symptoms of stress, increase self-esteem, explore feelings, reconcile with emotional conflicts, manage behavior, and promote one’s self-awareness.
- Drama Therapy
This therapy provides a person with a suitable platform for sharing their thoughts, emotions, and feelings. Drama therapy has a positive effect on self-perception and self-expression.
How Will This Worksheet Help You?
Creative therapy helps a person channel their thoughts, emotions, and feelings by way of an artistic expression.
Creative therapy can also help patients process traumatic experiences and other issues such as anxiety, depression, or bereavement.
How Should You Use This Worksheet?
This worksheet should be used as a way to understand yourself better, build relationships, process thoughts and feelings, make positive changes in your life, and resolve conflicts.
Creative therapy can also be used as a way of providing a distraction from pain or illness.
CREATIVE THERAPY WORKSHEET
- What art-based exercises are of interest to you?
- What artistic expression can you create to express your thoughts, emotions, and feelings?
- Discuss your choice of art as created above.
- How do you feel after completing the creative piece?
- What thoughts did you have before and after completing the creative piece?
- Identify ways in which music helps you relax and process your emotions.
- What type of music relaxes you the most and why?
- How can you incorporate dance as a technique to improve your self-esteem and quality of life?
- Write a short poem in order to express your thoughts, feelings and emotions.
You can find more wellness and mental health worksheets here.
- How did you feel after completing your poem?
- What drama techniques can you engage in to express your thoughts, feelings, and emotions?
- How can you use your creativity to practice reacting to difficult situations?
- What creative exercise can you participate in to resolve conflicts or problem-solving?
- What creative exercise can you engage in to understand yourself better and build better relationships?
- What creative exercise can you participate in for your mental health and emotional well-being?
American Psychological Association. (© 2022) Creative Arts Therapy. Available at: https://dictionary.apa.org/creative-arts-therapy. [Accessed November 28, 2022]
MedIndia. (© 1997-2022). Creative Therapy. Available at: https://www.medindia.net/patients/lifestyleandwellness/creative-therapy.htm#creative-therapy. [Accessed November 28, 2022]
You can download this worksheet here.