Communication barriers can have a significant impact on people’s personal and professional lives.
Communication barriers occur in the way of receiving and understanding messages that one sends to another to convey ideas, thoughts, or any other kind of information.
Barriers can negatively impact our personal and professional lives if there is no identifiable plan for addressing them.
What Are The Theories Behind This Worksheet?
There are plenty of communication barriers to address, the three most common include;
- Emotional communication barriers – emotions that may create barriers to overall communication.
- Language communication barriers – this occurs when people do not speak the same language or do not have the same ability in a language.
- Physical communication barriers – communication is easier over shorter distances as communication channels are obtainable and manageable.
How Will This Worksheet Help You?
This worksheet is intended to foster effective communication skills in order to convey clear and concise messages socially and professionally.
How Should You Use This Worksheet?
You should refer to this worksheet anytime you feel like you are having trouble conveying clear and concise messages.
This worksheet can also be used to help you become a more effective and active listener and improve your communication skills.
Communication Barriers Worksheet
- Identify ways you can avoid the use of jargon when communicating with others.
- In what ways can you develop consistency in your communication?
- Identify ways you can be more engaging in your communication both professionally and socially.
- Discuss ways you can build trust (professionally and socially) to improve your communication.
- What is active listening to you and how can you become a better active listener?
- What can you do differently to create a common ground for effective communication both professionally and socially?
- Explain how you would follow up on communication professionally and socially.
- List different ways you can improve your communication.
This task can be done every day before going to bed to help you become a more conscious and better communicator.
Barriers in Communication. What do Barriers to Effective Communication Mean? (© 2022). Available at: https://www.vedantu.com/commerce/barriers-in-communication. Accessed November 01, 2022]
Shine Learning. (© 2022). What are Communication Barriers and How to Overcome Them. Available at: https://learning.shine.com/talenteconomy/career-help/communication-barriers-and-how-to-overcome-them/. [Accessed November 01, 2022]
You can download this worksheet here.