What is the theory behind this Mental Health Awareness Month Worksheet?
Mental health awareness month is observed in May across the USA and October in other countries. It is an opportunity to spread awareness regarding mental health, its related issues and the stigma attached to mental illnesses. According to WHO, the aim of these campaigns is to ‘increase the nature, magnitude, and treatment of mental health issues in the population by informing the public about the nature and treatment of mental disorders, which will facilitate early identification and treatment of such problems.’
How will the worksheet help?
The worksheet will help provide a list of topics or themes and suggested activities that can be used as part of Mental Health Awareness Month for organisers in schools and workplaces.
How to use the worksheet?
This worksheet can be used by counsellors and teachers to choose and select topics, themes and activities for mental health awareness month in their respective schools, workplaces or other appropriate settings.
Mental Health Awareness Month Worksheet
Following are some topics that one can draw inspiration from for themes, activities and workshops for organising Mental Health Awareness Month in their respective facilities/organisations.
- How to take care of your mental health?
- How to identify mental health issues in self and others around you?
- What to do in case of a mental health emergency? (Mental Health First Aid)
- Enhancing Mental Health Literacy
- Teaching self-help coping strategies for:
- Low self-esteem
- Building Mental Health Skills:
- Critical Thinking
- Effective communication
- Bullying Prevention in Schools
- Awareness regarding signs and symptoms of common Mental Disorders and how to seek help
- Taking care of loved ones with mental illnesses.
- Breaking the stigma and silence around Mental Illnesses
- Effective teaching strategies
- Motivation and Goal-Achievement
- Effective Parenting Styles and Strategies
- Self care and Mental Health for Kids
- Positive Psychology
- One mental health wellness activity a day for 30 days
- Activities to encourage good diet and physical activity for better Mental Health
- Practising self-soothing activities
- Developing emotional awareness and emotional regulation in young kids.
- Signs, dangers and recovery from Substance Abuse
- Mindfulness and Relaxation Techniques
The World Health Organization. (2004). Expanding Awareness of Mental Health. Retrieved from:https://www.icaf.org/pdfs/Expanding%20Awareness%20of%20Mental%20Health%20in%20Childhood%20and%20Adolescence.pdf
You can download this worksheet here.