Trauma is an emotional response to a terrible event like an accident, rape, or natural disaster.
This emotional response may cause many emotional problems.
What Are The Theories Behind This Worksheet?
The way a person reacts to trauma depends on the type and severity of the traumatic event.
People can experience a range of physical, mental, emotional, and behavioural reactions.
Common reactions to trauma include:
- Losing hope for the future
- Feeling distant (detached) or losing a sense of concern about others
- Being unable to concentrate or make decisions
- Feeling emotionally numb, as if in a state of ‘shock’
- Feeling extremely fatigued and tired
- Avoiding people, places and things related to the event
- Having dreams and memories that upset you
How Will This Worksheet Help You?
This worksheet will help people struggling with upsetting emotions, memories, and anxiety relating to the trauma that will not go away.
The intention of this worksheet is to help people recover their emotional equilibrium and rebuild their lives again.
How Should You Use This Worksheet?
This worksheet should be used when you start to experience a host of conflicting emotions and memories all at once.
The intention of this worksheet is to help you understand your thoughts, emotions, and actions throughout your recovery journey.
Common Reactions to Trauma Worksheet
- What thoughts and feelings do you struggle with due to the trauma you experience?
- What kind of support will help you fight the above thoughts and feelings? Explain why.
- Identify different healthy ways to help you cope with the trauma you experienced.
- Identify healthy coping strategies you can engage in to avoid the upsetting emotions and memories related to the trauma.
- Getting back to your routine helps you to re-establish a sense of normalcy and regain a sense of control over your life.
|DAYS OF THE WEEK:||ROUTINE:|
American Psychological Association. (© 2022). How to Cope with Traumatic Stress. Available at: https://www.apa.org/topics/trauma/stress. [Accessed October 27, 2022]
American Psychological Association. (© 2022). Trauma. Available at: https://www.apa.org/topics/trauma. [Accessed October 27, 2022]
U.S Department of Veterans Affairs. (© 2022). PTSD: Common Reactions After Trauma. Available at: https://www.ptsd.va.gov/understand/isitptsd/common_reactions.asp. [Accessed October 27, 2022]
You can download this worksheet here.