Relaxed breathing worksheet
What is the theory behind this worksheet?
The theory behind the relaxed breathing worksheet is that by slowing down and regulating your breathing, you can reduce the physical symptoms of stress and anxiety, such as increased heart rate and muscle tension. By focusing on your breath, you can also bring your attention away from anxious thoughts and into the present moment. Additionally, practising relaxed breathing regularly can help train your body to naturally respond to stress and anxiety with a more relaxed and calm state.
How will this worksheet help?
- Reduce stress and anxiety: Slow, deep breathing can can help reduce the physical symptoms of stress and anxiety, such as increased heart rate, muscle tension, and shortness of breath.
- Improve focus and concentration: By bringing your attention to your breath and away from anxious thoughts, relaxed breathing can help improve focus and concentration.
- Improve sleep: Relaxed breathing can help calm the mind and body, making it easier to fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Strengthen the immune system: Relaxed breathing has been shown to activate the immune system and improve overall health.
How to use this worksheet?
This worksheet aims at:
1) Documenting time and date of deep breathing practice.
2) Practising deep breathing exercise for negative state relief (in particular anxiety)
3)Recording the level of distress before and after doing the exercise
4) The length of time of doing the exercise.
The worksheet can be given to clients by therapists as a homework assignment, and the chart can be discussed to evaluate the effectiveness of relaxed breathing on client’s mental state.
You can download this worksheet here.
Was this helpful?
Relaxed breathing record form. (2022, August 22). Psychology Tools. https://www.psychologytools.com/resource/relaxed-breathing-record-form/
(n.d.). CCI – Anxiety, Depression, Bipolar & Eating Disorders – Perth. https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/-/media/CCI/Mental-Health-Professionals/Social-Anxiety/Social-Anxiety—Worksheets/Social-Anxiety-Worksheet—02—Breathing-Rate-Record.pdf